Driving abroad for the first time?

Date posted: May 14, 2013

If you’re planning on driving to Europe for the first time then there are quite a few things you’ll need to consider. Find out what you need before travelling abroad.

Sort your European Breakdown Cover

There’s nothing worse than breaking down in a country you’re completely unfamiliar with, especially if you can’t speak the language.

Breaking down abroad without cover can prove a really costly mistake to make. Not only will it ruin your holiday plans, it is also very expensive to recover a vehicle without sufficient cover back to the UK.

Rescuemycar.com’s European Breakdown Cover protects your car, motorcycle or van whilst abroad, enabling you to relax and enjoy the trip without having to worry about hefty towing and maintenance costs should you happen to break down while you’re away.

Find out more about our European Breakdown Cover.

Plenty of planning and preparation

If you’re not familiar with the roads you’re set to travel on then work out some directions prior to setting off so that you have a fair idea of where you’re going. Use your satnav for the most accurate set of directions but ensure your satnav model works abroad.

The next stage of preparation is to check your vehicle is safe to drive. Driving a car that’s been recently serviced will reduce your chances of breaking down abroad so make sure you carry out a few checks before you set off:

  • Check tyre treads and pressures;
  • Fill up with enough petrol to at least see you to the next petrol stop;
  • Test the car’s battery and breaks;
  • Top up the car’s water and oil levels if you need to.

Are you driving within the law?

Before setting off, do a little research to find out whether your car is legal in the countries you’re travelling to. You’ll need a warning triangle, hi-vis jacket and GB sticker in most countries (in case you break down).

Drivers in France need to carry a first aid kit, high visibility jacket and Breathalyzer.

Are you insured?

Make sure you have the right car insurance to travel abroad. Contact Rescuemycar if you haven’t yet insured your car or you’d like more information about your current policy with us.

Privacy PolicyWebsite User AgreementTerms of Business


NCI Insurance Services Ltd (Registered in England & Wales No. 04741145). Registered Office: 4th Floor Clarendon House, Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG1 1JD. NCI Insurance Services Ltd are an Appointed Representative of Jigsaw Insurance Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm Reference: 307654).